Friday, May 16, 2008

Pets on Wheels. Do it!

Cody has been a Pets on Wheels volunteer for Howard County for some time, but admittedly not a very consistent one. Pets on Wheels Howard County is an association of volunteers who take their own pets to visit nursing and assisted living homes.

Cody enjoys it immensely since he loves nothing more than meeting and greeting people. The problem is that he is quite a handful in the car and it's been a little difficult to get him to and fro--especially if Riley is not with him. (And unfortunately, Riley, who has other fine qualities, is not a good POW candidate.) Plus, I've had a few sinus and eye infections this past winter that I didn't want to bring into the home.

But enough excuses! We are going to get back on track! This is such a great activity for anyone with a friendly dog. The people enjoy it so much. And the organization has been so great about showing its appreciation of volunteers.

Tricia Summers is the program's director. Her dog Harry, a Great Pyrenees, is a volunteer--a Gentle Giant who is a sight to behold.

For those who think their dogs may be a good candidate, Pets on Wheels Howard County has program introductions and dog evaluations on the first Wednesday of each month. Call 410-313-7461.

2 comments:

  1. I have thought about this so many times. I want to do it. But, my schedule's so overloaded already! I think you have to commit to once a week, right? I could only do once a month, if I'm lucky. One of these days I will volunteer. My 94 year old grandfather, who passed away this past December, LOVED my dog. I think she would be a great candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Howard County program is very flexible and doesn't ask for a time commitment--just whatever works for you. I'm sure once a month would be fine, and that's probably what many people do. Hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments!