Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Adopting Older Dogs: "Love Has No Age Limit"

Just listened to a great program on the Diane Rehm show about adopting older dogs. Her guest was Patricia McConnell, a well-known author and animal behaviorist, who believes in the powers of positive reinforcement.

McConnell's newest book is "Love Has No Age Limit," and is all about the joys of adopting an older dog.

I know several people who happily adopted older dogs. One was my neighbor who adopted a 7-year-old mixed breed, her first dog. Chance led a happy, healthy life for 11 more years! Another adopted two Swedish Valhunds at 9 years of age. The two walk miles each day and still compete in agility trials.

My two Havanese are now 7 and 11 years old. I never really actively trained them very much beyond "sit", and was curious about "teaching old dogs new tricks." So I decided to try out some sit-stay-come stuff and was amazed how quickly they caught on and how well they retain it. Even Riley, the 11-year-old. I'm thinking of enrolling them in a class--just for fun.

McConnell is also the author of a number of other books, including "The Other End of the Leash," which I own, read and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!